10 Foods That Will Keep You Young Looking for Years to Come
July 16th, 2011
Do you want to know the secret of young looking skin and a healthy, vibrant body? The secret is: there is no secret! Eat healthy, exercise and get some fresh air every day; that’s pretty much the formula for living a healthy life. There are, however, certain foods that you can incorporate into your daily diet that will make you even younger looking, and feeling even more energetic.
1) Avocado: This vegetable is full of essential fatty acids that keep your skin looking supple and smooth looking. It is high in monounsaturates which can help lower cholesterol levels. These are tasty eaten on their own, or in salads, stir-frys or any of your favourite recipes.
2) Walnuts: These are also high in monounsaturates, which can help lower cholesterol and help fight against free radicals which are cancer causing. Eat about 10-15 per day.
3) Olive Oil: High in Omega 3 essential fatty acid, this is the only oil you should have in your pantry. Will make your skin look absolutely radiant and keep wrinkles at bay.
4) Spinach: This is full of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, C, E, iron, magnesium just to name a few. It could just be one of the most perfect foods on earth. Mix some in with your salads, or steam it for a side dish.
5) Pomegranate: This ruby red fruit contains a host of vitamins and antioxidants that will keep you illness free and feeling full of energy. They are not easy to eat; you may want to opt for juice instead. Just be sure to check the sugar content before you buy or you will defeat the purpose.
6) Bell Peppers: Red, yellow, green and orange peppers are full of vitamin C and antioxidants that promote cardiovascular health. Studies have shown that they may reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
7) Berries: Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries, and blackberries are all full of vitamin C and antioxidants. Sprinkle some on your cereal, or in with your favourite yogurt. Toss them into a smoothie or enjoy a fresh bowl straight from the farmer’s market.
8) Red Onions: Full of flavanoids and vitamin C, these can help ease congestion as well as fight the pain of osteo-arthritis and other inflammations. They are perfect in a salad or in a bowl of soup.
9) Fresh-Water fish: Salmon, tuna, halibut and trout are all great sources of Omega 3 fatty acids. Salmon and trout also contain calcium and vitamin D – essential for bone health.
10) Dark Green Lettuce: Romaine, red leaf and green leaf lettuce are all high in vitamin C, vitamin A and calcium. They make a tasty salad; mix in some peppers, red onions and spinach for a lunch that is a nutritional powerhouse.
You can’t fight age forever; but by eating some of the above foods at least a few times a week will help you looking young for as long as possible. Your skin, hair and nails will look radiant, your eyes will look brighter and you will have more energy than you ever thought possible.